Imagination, which can also be called inner vision, is a gift that has many positive applications, but more than often it is not well-developed or correctly used. Few people possess the ability to control what enters their minds. They let their minds and imagination do as they please, and let any stray thought or mental image appear on the screen of their inner vision. This lack of control leads to lack of control over their lives.
Let your imagination run riot, and your life will be a mess. Control it and visualize only what you intentionally decide to visualize, and you change your life in accordance with your will.
What is the imagination, the inner vision? It is the ability to see in one’s mind mental images of something that exists, and also the ability to imagine objects, situations or circumstances that do not exist now. Imagination is not only visualizing mental images. It is possible to visualize using all the five senses. You can visualize a sound, taste, smell or a sensation.
If you watch your mind, you will find out that you are constantly using your imagination in various ways. You use it while thinking about the past or future, planning, painting, writing, and describing something. You use it when you describe how to get to a certain street, when you read and when you daydream.
Do you write, paint or engage in any creative activity? Do you cook, decorate or love to do new things? If you do, then you are using your imagination.
When you worry or feel fear you use it too. At such times you automatically visualize unhappy or unfortunate situations. If you keep visualizing these negative mental images you may eventually attract them into your life.
If you see in your inner vision how you want your life to be, and continue watching this mental seen every day with faith, concentration and love, one day your life will look exactly as you imagine.
There are some people who say they have no imagination. There is no such thing. It may be weak, but they certainly possess it. It might also happen that their visual imagination is not strong, but they can visualize using their other five senses, as mentioned earlier.
The ability to visualize clearly can be developed, and this can be fun. Exercises for developing this ability will at the same time also improve your ability to concentrate, and as a bonus, you might find that you gain a power which you can use to shape and improve your life.
Developing the imagination, the power of your inner vision:
- Find some fifteen minutes every day for the exercises.
- Visualize something simple that you can believe you can get, such as going to a movie with your girl/boy friend or with your husband/wife, eating at a certain restaurant or doing something else you would like to do.
- Visualize your desire clearly, and include in the visualization all the five senses. If it is watching a movie together with another person, imagine the two of you entering the cinema and sitting down. Listen to the people around you, use your sense of smell and feel the coldness or warmth in the cinema hall. Visualize eating popcorn or drinking some soft drink, and enjoy the taste and smell.
- You might find out it is easier to imagine with some of the senses, and a little difficult to imagine with the others. Go on with the exercises and you will strengthen your ability to imagine with all the senses.
- Do the same exercise everyday, and you will find that it gradually becomes easier.
- Sometimes you may find that your mind starts to visualize about what you are imagining. Be careful not to replace the imagination with words. The aim is to use the imagination, not words.
If you follow these suggestions you will develop your imagination, the power of the inner vision, which will be useful to you in many situations. You might also be surprised to discover that what you see in your mind, in your inner vision, comes true in real life.